Tuesday 24 April 2012

Ken Ohara

Ken Ohara

For my shoot, I would like to use a similar approach to Ken O’Hara’s approach he used in his series ‘One’. He took blank, expressionless headshots of his subjects, highlighting no emotion and giving not much away in the image as to what they are thinking. I will not be using an overly well groomed model as i want them to have some sense of character without emotion showing.

This image looks as though it was shot indoors, perhaps in a studio in order to use artificial light. You can tell this as the whole image has not been lit up by light, but instead shines upon the center of the face. This could be because he wanted to enhance the sense of symmetry that the image already had.

The image is in black and white, which yet again helps to get rid of any emotion in the image. If I was using a straight image, without line drawing, I would also consider using this effect. However I may use this during a later shoot as an experimental effort to see as to what makes my images more understandable and flow more.

He presents faces with a standard size and tone and in his series he presented more than 500 tight close ups of faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment